Senior Legal Counsel
Senior Legal Counsel, Birmingham, UK
We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Legal Counsel to join our team.
You will be reporting to the CFO of a £130m turnover, private equity backed, international healthcare business, which specialises in the development, manufacture and distribution of diagnostic products.
You will be our sole in house lawyer with responsibility for all of the group’s legal work. You will proactively support a wide range of disciplines (including research and development, sales, purchasing, HR and IT) in both the UK and the group’s US, European and Asian subsidiaries.
You will have exposure to all levels of personnel, including interaction with the Board. You will contribute to the delivery of TBS’ strategic objectives and growth initiatives, ensuring all legal aspects are managed appropriately.
- Reviewing, drafting, negotiating and generally advising on a wide range of commercial contracts, including supply agreements and R&D agreements
- Providing or procuring commercially focussed legal advice across a wide spectrum of other legal matters including intellectual property, HR, property and data protection
- Regularly updating the group’s standard form legal documentation
- Supporting the business on governance and corporate compliance issues, including managing and enhancing the group’s corporate compliance programme
- Liaising with external legal resource in the most cost-effective manner to procure timely and accurate legal advice
- Ensuring that the business is appropriately briefed on relevant legal matters, including new legislation, providing training where required
- Generally identifying and mitigating legal risks, including ensuring that the business’ process for obtaining legal input is effective and robust
- Taking on the role of Company Secretary for the group’s UK companies
- Opportunity to travel but not essential
- Qualified solicitor with significant years PQE and high calibre experience
- Experience as a transactional Commercial or Corporate lawyer (although any discipline considered)
- Top tier firm and/or substantial in-house experience (whether through secondments or employment). Our ideal candidate would have a broad range of both and be experienced in working in a fast-paced, commercial environment
- Demonstrates a track record of success, achievement and learning in career to date, adding value within relevant positions
- Strong academic credentials
- Experience in the healthcare industry, especially medical diagnostics, useful but not essential
- Commercial acumen - a track record in providing pragmatic legal advice and guidance in a commercial environment
- Relationship builder - hands on, practical and down to earth with ability to build strong relationships of trust and network effectively up, down and across the business
- Analytical - must understand the business and be able to persuade and influence through reasoned analysis
- Enthusiastic - must be a motivated self-starter with passion and enthusiasm for the role
- Flexible – able to adapt and respond to changing priorities and business requirements
- Fluent in English (both orally and in writing); additional languages would be an asset