IT Support Technician - East Midlands (M/F)
The Amazon IT teams keep our business running smoothly by resolving complex hardware, software, server and infrastructure issues, with both on-site and on-call capacity for our Operations network.
As an IT Support Technician you will report to the IT Manager in your home site and will be responsible for working closely with the business, fellow technicians and engineers to implement and maintain critical infrastructure elements as well as day to day support to meet our operations present and future business needs.
Besides your day-to-day activities, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in projects and innovate. You will be a key part of a multinational team and thrive in delivering high-quality results and always be on the lookout for improvements.
For your convenience part of the Recruiting process will be a digital video interview (HireVue) in which you will record your answers to our interview questions. Rather than take a day away from your responsibilities to conduct a phone interview, we're bringing the interview to you. Interview anywhere, anytime that’s most convenient for you. To ensure you receive the relevant Email communication please check your spam/junk folder on a regular basis.
Putting your Customers first, you will provide a 1st / 2nd line support service that ensures all IT equipment and infrastructure is running to its optimum performance and that all departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met on your home site as well as any remote sites that you and your team also support. You will also participate in site-wide projects that support changing business and IT requirements.
This is an hourly role, paid weekly, and you will be working in rotating shift patterns, with some out of hours work.
The extent of your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
· Carrying out execution of change management requests as required (which may include out of hours work).
· Installation, maintenance and support of IT equipment including (but not restricted to) laptops, telecoms equipment, printers, scanners, thin clients and workstations. Some cabling work will also be required (after training).
· Management of imaging of workstations and laptops.
· Ensuring that work is carried out to a high standard and complies with all Amazon polices and guidelines.
· Maximizing availability of all IT equipment and infrastructure through continuous improvement and proactive, preventative maintenance, continuously look to improve equipment efficiencies and cost reductions accordingly.
· Delivering outstanding level of service to your Customer base.
· Liaise with contractors or external suppliers and clearly communicate technical issues and Amazon standards.
· Providing technical support/input to site and team projects and initiatives.
· Conducting end user equipment trials and testing.
· Undertaking ad-hoc requests and tasking as and when required.
· The management Asset and Inventory management including checks / audits in line with global standards and processes including Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) processes with suppliers.
· Providing assistance to senior engineers as required (which may include out of hours work and travel).
· Managing shift / daily infrastructure and Distribution Frame (MDF/IDF) audits and checks, including the production of shift / daily reports.
Please note: The position will involve some physical labour. IT Support Technicians execute physical work e.g. working in confined spaces (possibly under the 48 inch crawl space or inside air handlers); lifting up to 15 kg; site cleanliness and maintenance work; accessing elevated spaces (working at height).
About our rewards
We’ll expect you to go the extra mile, but we’ll also make sure you’re well rewarded. As well as a competitive salary and stock units, we offer a whole host of other benefits, including an employee discount.
Additionally, you will find yourself in a stimulating environment where you can develop processes as well as yourself as an individual by working with some of the best and brightest minds in the industry. Our rapidly growing organisation also offers many opportunities for building a diverse and rewarding career.
Required qualifications and skills:
The successful candidate will have:
· Experience in MS Windows System Support
· Excellent English communication skills (written & verbal). Able to communicate technical information to nontechnical audiences.
· A strong sense of customer service and demonstrable history of excellent customer-facing skills.
· Demonstrable methodical problem solving and excellent analytical skills.
· Able to keep others informed of information that contributes to the performance of the team, department or company (Team player).
· Be self-motivated and able to work alone as well as part of a team.
· Able to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment.
· Experience in establishing new processes and procedures as well as following those already in place and always looking for improvements.
· A willingness to roll their sleeves up and be hands-on.
· An good understanding of computers (both hardware and software) and a demonstrated willingness to learn and apply new technology and to train and learn new skills
· Demonstrable strong initiative (is proactive) and motivation with the ability to learn quickly.
· Ability to be flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
· Ability and willingness to travel including staying away from home for up to one week at a time.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
· Two years prior technical (IT) exposure/experience highly favorable, preferably in an operational environment.
· Vendor certification of the following: MS Windows System Support, Cisco knowledge - LAN / WAN and Wireless.
· Some Linux/Unix System Support experience