IT Infrastructure Engineer
IT Infrastructure Engineer
This role is responsible for providing a professional support service for a large scale,
hybrid IT Infrastructure for a National parcel delivery organisation. The Organisation
offer a lively fast moving professional and close team environment where everyone
really matters to the business. Achievement hard work and motivation are recognised
The post holder will to play a key role in the delivery of technically complex and
challenging projects and so will need to have a broad understanding and capability
across a diverse range of technologies which include:
- working with public cloud, private cloud and hybrid models, specifically Amazon AWS and VMWare.
- Strong experience with Windows Server 2012 / 2016 including Active Directory and DNS.
- Experience administering Linux based servers (Debian / Red Hat based).
- Strong experience with VMWare vSphere 6, virtualisation and SAN storage.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to pinpoint the root cause of problems.
- Excellent knowledge of TCPIP principles, LAN’s, VLAN’s, WAN’s and routing.
- Experience configuring Cisco hardware and proficient with the IOS CLI
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365, specifically Exchange Online and Identity services.
- Experience with SQL Server 2008/2012/2016
- Experience with network security appliances/firewalls, preferably Sonicwall or Cisco including policy creation and administration in-line with best practice.
- Sound understanding of cyber security, GDPR and IT security best practice.
- Experience with backup technologies - snapshot based.
- Experience with IP based telephony.
- Responding to 2nd and 3rd line escalations in a timely manner and restoring service as quickly as possible.
- Deep analysis into problems to isolate the root cause. Taking a methodical approach to problem solving and working with internal and external teams to develop and implement fixes.
- Implementing system changes in line with change control procedures, ensuring risk is correctly identified, managed and mitigated.
- Identifying areas of opportunity and improvement in terms of functionality, security, capacity, performance, resilience, process and service quality.
- Creation and maintenance of documentation including handover to 1st line support teams.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external teams to support all departmental project initiatives.
- Day to day support and administration/maintenance of the Windows/Linux Server estate and key Infrastructure applications, Active Directory, LAN, WAN and associated hardware.
- Provide a positive input into the design and implementation of new Infrastructure solutions, taking a lead role in the delivery of small projects where necessary.
- Keeping abreast of new developments in IT Infrastructure and how these may bring benefits to the business.
- Keeping abreast of emerging cyber threats and analysing any potential impact on the Organisations environment, taking a pro-active approach and applying mitigation if necessary.
- Effective communication at all times, written and verbal to all levels of IT in house and third parties.
- To participate in an out of hours on call rota.
As a member of the IT team the following would be expected:
- To organise individual time effectively, prioritise own workload and meet deadlines.
- Be confident and capable of participating in multiple active projects in parallel
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism in dealing with APC senior management, customers, and suppliers.
- The ability to work on one’s own initiative with minimal supervision.
- Any other relevant duties as the position requires
There will be a requirement to provide on-site support at remote sortation centres in The West Midlands and Scotland. The successful candidate should therefore be flexible to travel and overnight stays and hold a full UK driving licence.
- 5+years’ experience working in a similar role, supporting enterprise class technologies and able to demonstrate IT experience required.
- Experience working in a structured project environment and playing a key role in the delivery of Infrastructure projects.
You will be expected to complete your duties in a professional manner and to a high standard. This will require out of hours working at times as the key business operation takes place during the night. The successful candidate is expected to be flexible and on occasions, willing to work outside of normal working hours to support large scale projects and planned maintenance activities.
- Exposure to the logistics business sector
- Any experience with enterprise class mobility solutions.
- ITIL certification or a good understanding of ITIL principles.
- PRINCE2 qualification
The Company offer an excellnt development programme a competitive starting salary plus overtime and on call rota allowance when required. If you feel you have the skills and experience and are looking to work in a fun friendly environment where your contribution really matters then please email your cv now.