We protect everything from bats to buildings to beaches - and we want to share them with everyone too. But how do we care for our special places, while helping everyone to enjoy them and their fascinating stories? It’s no small task. In fact, it’s a big team effort and it’s why our Conservation Assistants are so important.
What it's like to work here
This captivating 16th century Tudor manor house is renowned for its fine collection of textiles and elegant gardens. The team is focused on conservation projects, as well as providing an exceptional family-friendly visitor experience. The new café serves a delicious selection of produce grown in Packwood’s kitchen garden. Packwood House is part of a trio of properties alongside Baddesley Clinton and Coughton Court, so collaborative working between staff and volunteers is encouraged.
What you'll be doing
As a Conservation Assistant, you’ll be working with a great housekeeping team in an incredible place, helping with the day-to-day cleaning and care of the collections. No detail will go unnoticed, and you’ll keep a keen eye on everything from the environmental conditions in a room, to signs of wear and tear. You’ll keep accurate records too.
In this visitor facing role, we’d love you to talk to visitors about the work you’re doing, and the collections we have. You'll also be part of the wider team of employees and volunteers, helping to cover where necessary.
Who we're looking for
We'd love to hear from you if you have;
- A keen interest in history, historic properties and conservation of their collections
- Previous experience as a Trainee Conservation Assistant or equivalent
- A good understanding of preventive conservation
- Knowledge of the approach required when working with fragile historic collections as well as Health & Safety and emergency procedures
- Good manual dexterity and eye-to-hand skills and ability to work from ladders and tower scaffold
- The ability to support volunteers to perform at their best
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and are a good team player
- A willingness to undertake continuing professional development and personal skills development and have an enthusiasm to learn
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking