Applications Software Engineer
The role will involve working with a range of technologies to support business needs and will involve the analysis and translation of business requirements into technical solutions. This will include development working on a broad range of technologies from scripting languages, web development, mobile application development and cloud services for this Birmingham based legal client.
This client is a global legal firm based in the Birmingham area.
Main responsibilities for the successful Applications Software Engineer will be to:
Strategy & Planning
- Provide integration environment technical knowledge and experience during the planning, execution, and management of integrating new applications into the firms existing application environment.
- Support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review.
- Analyse and assess existing business systems and procedures designing improvements where appropriate.
- Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of software's business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
- Develop standards and processes to support and facilitate integration projects and initiatives.
- Assist in the preparation and documentation of software requirements and specifications.
- Research and document requirements of software users.
- Architect and engineer applications for ease of maintenance and longevity.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Participate in application integration testing phase of software and applications under development in order to identify and remedy potential problem areas.
- Build relationships with third party applications software development and engineering teams to gain an understanding of application architectures and required functionality.
- Assist with the liaison with vendors for efficient implementation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues.
- Build relationships with vendors of application software deployed in the organisation's IT environment to both learn about and provide feedback on their technical integration capabilities.
- Schedule, and perform application software improvements and upgrades.
- Updating, repairing, modifying and developing existing software and generic applications, including cross platform mobile applications.
- Evaluating and increasing the program's effectiveness and adapting the program to new requirements, as necessary.
- Assist with problem determination and resolution efforts when operational issues with application integration solutions arise.
- Assist with identifying opportunities to enhance or improve business processes via application integration, or, as necessary, minimise the impact of application integration on those processes.
- Consistently write, translate, code, and test software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Liaise with other technical teams, network administrators, systems analysts, and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or the firm's software systems.
- Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of the firm's business applications as necessary.
- In conjunction with the Q&A team, design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Work with database team to design, develop, and update databases as they relate to applications.
- Work with the KMES team to enhance, modify and resolve problems relating to the firm's web applications / systems.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code.
- Ensure designs are in compliance with specifications.
- Prepare and produce releases of software components.
- Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Installation and product support for end users as required.
The successful Applications Software Engineer will have skills and experience with:
- Proven hands-on Microsoft .Net Software Development experience.
- Experience working with enterprise business applications.
- Hands on experience working in integrated development environments.
- Hands on experience in designing and developing applications using Microsoft technologies.
- Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate).
- Experience with cloud technologies, principally Microsoft Azure.
- Experience developing cross platform mobile applications with Microsoft technologies and Xamarin.
- Experience with developing and maintaining solutions for Microsoft SharePoint (including Office 365/SharePoint Online).
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X operating systems.
- Experience with all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Experience with communicating business needs to technical teams.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject.
- Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products.
- Highly logical.
- Technically proficient.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Emphasises quality and process.
The salary that is on offer for this Applications Software Engineer working for this legal client will be £40,000 to £47,000.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80969039