Family Law Solicitor
To generate fee income for the firm by the provision of legal services to clients in a professional and competent manner.
Skills & Experience required for the post:
A qualified solicitor with experience of family law to include experience of advocacy and Family Proceedings in the County Court and Magistrates' Court.
1. To provide advice and assistance to clients and to represent their interests by:
a) advising clients in person and, where appropriate, on the telephone
b) correspondence and telephone calls
c) preparation and perusal of legal documents
d) interviewing witnesses and preparing witness statements
e) dealing with solicitors and other professionals
f) preparation of instructions to Counsel and other experts for advice
g) representing clients in the High Court/County Court and Magistrates Court
h) attending hearings with Counsel in High Court/County Court
2. To maintain and develop expertise in the following areas of legal work.
- Divorces, divorce disputes, as to contact, residence and parental responsibility, and defended divorces
- ancillary relief
- pre and post nuptial agreements
- Children Law
Such other areas of legal work as may be agreed from time to time with the Partners
3. To keep up to date with the needs of the firm and developments in relevant law and procedures and to develop office skills by:
a) attending when required at fee earners meetings
b) attending departmental meetings when required
c) attending in-house and external courses and seminars as agreed
d) reading relevant periodicals
e) co-operating with the firm's aim that all fee earners attain 16 hours of training in each year
4. To provide any necessary supervision of secretarial and support staff, including the carrying out of appraisals when required.
5. To advise clients with regard to fees and the availability of Public Funding. To deliver bills promptly and to obtain money where appropriate on account of costs and disbursements
6. To ensure the delivery of the same high standard of work to both Public Funded and privately paying clients
7. Hours / Billing / Credit Control
To seek to achieve key performance indicators of fees equal to 3.25 x salary and chargeable hour's equivalent to 75% of contractual working hours or such other targets as may from time to time be agreed with the firm
8. To remain familiar with the firm's requirements as to Client Care and quality standards and to implement these, particularly with regard to Client Care letters
9. To remain familiar with the code of practice of Resolution and to observe the code in all dealings on behalf of the firm
10. Completed files must not remain 'open' for more than 28 days unless there is an ongoing complaint or query