Trainee Network Technician/Engineer
Join the Openreach Trainee Network Technician/Engineer programme
Join us and you'll be a fully qualified network technician/engineer within a year. We repair and maintain the UK's broadband network, so that people and businesses up and down the county can communicate, stream, work and play. We're dedicated to delivering the best possible service to our customers and are looking to recruit people with excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
Whether you're straight from school, just out of the Armed Forces, or looking for a change in career - we welcome everyone as engineers. It doesn't matter if you've never done anything like this before - we'll give you the best training in the business and teach you all the skills you need.
As one of our engineers you could be responsible for building our network, or installing and maintaining broadband for our customers - covering residential customers as well as businesses on behalf of a variety of communication providers.
You'll be on the road, driving your van and out in the fresh air. You'll be working in all kinds of buildings including our central hubs for connecting customers. You might find yourself working at a street cabinet, up a telegraph pole or in the customers' premises. You'll be interacting with customers, getting together with your team and there's always people for support at the end of the phone - from your manager and team mates to dedicated teams there to help. We'll give you everything you need to do the job from your uniform to your van and tools - you'll have everything you need provided.
The standard working week is of 37.5 hours, 4 or 5 days between Monday and Sunday, and once you have gained some experience, there's often opportunities for overtime. Starting and finishing times are between 07:00 and 21:00.
We're looking for individuals with an ability to connect with people, a willingness to get stuck in and who are:
- Excellent communicators
- Happy working outdoors whether it's glorious sunshine or bracing British weather
- Open to learning new technology and comfortable using smart devices
- Physically fit and comfortable with heights to safely carry a ladder and climb a telephone pole
- Good at Maths and English - skills will be tested during the application process
- Licenced to manual driving a van - driving licence with no more than 6 points
- Able to manage their time as well as their workload
Salary: Basic salary of GBP20,750 rising to GBP25,394 upon completion of the 12 month training period.
On Target Earnings: Opportunities to earn a 10% target bonus on top of your basic salary after the first 12 months (GBP27,933 OTE).
London Weighting:Paid in addition to your basic salary if you are a London based permanent employee (GBP3,380 inner London and GBP1,670 outer London).
Allowance: Up to GBP1,431 payable to you on top of your basic salary if you're working offshore on the outer Scottish Islands.
- A 12 month tailored training programme and hands on experience - if successful, after the first year you'll have achieved a qualification for IT and Telecoms professionals*.
- 22 days annual leave (plus bank holidays).
- Free broadband, BT TV and BT Sport.
- Access to a whole range of products and services that come with great discounts.
- Automatic enrolment into our pension plan.
- Opportunities to progress into higher graded roles
*English and Welsh joiners will complete BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals (QCF) and Scottish joiners will complete a diploma for Information Technology and Telecommunications Professionals at SCQF Level 5.
Does this sound like the career for you? If you join us, you'll contribute to building Britain's connected future.