Position: Finance Officer
Hours: Part-time; 21 hours a week; fixed term contract until 31 October 2021(with possibility of extension).
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Reporting to: International Programmes Manager
Salary: Circa £20,000-£23,000 FTE depending on qualifications and experience
Closing date: 4th January 2019
Background to Organisation
Signal was formed five years ago when two organisations, the Shropshire Deafness Association (SDA) and the Woodford Foundation joined together. Signal has been operating in one form or another since the 1860s providing assistance to deaf and hard of hearing people within Shropshire. It has been active for fourteen years assisting sensory impaired (deaf and deafblind) children and young people in sub-Saharan Africa to become full and active members of their families and communities.
Introduction to Role
We are seeking a committed individual who is creative and industrious, with experience and qualifications in accounting principles. You will need to work independently and in a fast-paced environment and show initiative in designing and implementing new systems. You should have experience of working with budgets and database, and have excellent IT & analytical skills. Good knowledge of Excel is essential as is the ability to identify trends and spot errors. Working as part of a small team in the charity sector you should be willing to assist with tasks outside of your role and occasionally assist with events where required.
In return you will have the opportunity to work in a growing international development and local charity while gaining valuable experience in the not-for-profit sector.
Areas of Responsibility
- Process monthly income & expenditure, including bank reconciliation
- Processing and arranging payment of incoming invoices
- Sending out invoices and managing credit control
- Managing payroll and pension
- Providing financial information for grant applications
- Creating and managing of overall budget alongside program heads
- Monitoring and recording restricted and unrestricted income and expenditure
- General office management admin, dealing with utility suppliers, insurance, subscriptions etc.
- Preparing accounts for external audit
- Preparing management accounts for trustee board
- Assisting with governance compliance, reporting to Companies House, Charity Commission etc.
- Claiming gift aid
- Manage the petty cash system
- Support events as necessary
- Managing expenditure alongside program managers and trustees
- AAT level 3
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure
What the Role Offers
- This is a fixed-term contract until the end of October 2021, with the potential for ongoing work where further funding is secured
- Opportunity to make a difference for people living with hearing loss or deafness
- Opportunity to develop your career within a growing charity and amongst supportive, enthusiastic colleagues
- Based in Signal’s office, town centre location in Shrewsbury
- Contributory pension
- 25 days holiday per annum (pro rata) plus Bank Holidays
Interested individuals may contact Signal, by telephoning 01743 364 644 or sending an SMS to 07950 782 819.
Apply in writing by sending your CV, plus a covering letter explaining why you feel you would be the most suitable candidate for this role, to Signal’s Chair of Trustees Martin James at email@example.com or by post to Signal, 8a College Hill, Shrewsbury, SY1 1LZ, to arrive no later than Friday 4th January 2019. Please quote job reference FO1819.