Head of Development
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF POST:
Reporting to and working closely with the Chief Executive, the post holder will take the lead on all aspects of fundraising and development for MAC. The Head of Development is a new post and will play a key role in assisting MAC to secure future financial resilience. The role is part of the Senior Management Team and as such will contribute directly to Board reporting. The role will work across all areas of fundraising: Trusts and Foundations; Individual Giving (Legacies and High Wealth individuals); Commercial Sponsorship
Fundraising Manager, who is responsible for researching and preparing applications to Trusts and Foundations and selected government funding and specific Individual Giving campaigns.
- Lead responsibility for the development and delivery of MAC's Development and Fundraising Strategy and contribute fully to the overall strategic direction of the organisation.
- Deliver a clear and defined fundraising strategy of new opportunities that meets or exceeds an annual income target of GBP400k.
- Develop and maintain relationships with current and prospective funders and donors.
- Create a comprehensive plan for donors at each stage of the fundraising ladder in the portfolio and execute with the Fundraising Manager a plan so that individual donors are retained and upgraded.
- Create individual goals for potential major donors based on the donor's history of giving and the organisation's knowledge of that donor's potential and interests.
- Oversee existing stewarding and developing new relationships with a wide range of individuals and organisations.
- Design and execute special cultivation and stewardship opportunities for select donors/ prospects.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications team to ensure that donor communications, offers and benefits are creative and attractive.
- Develop opportunities for potential Corporate Membership.
- Directly solicit major and planned gifts, and partner with senior and programme staff on donor engagement opportunities.
- Identify, approach and apply to appropriate commercial sponsors for support of flagship events such as large-scale spectacles and the seasonal Christmas programme.
- Identify, approach and engage 'high net worth individuals' to support appropriate areas of our work.
- Establish an appropriate legacies programme.
- Manage the income from trusts and foundations and submit applications for capital grants.
- Research and approach new funding sources to enhance existing streams.
- Work collaboratively with MAC staff to gather materials such as images and artistic programme plans in support of proposals and funder updates.
- Work with MAC Board members to identify prospects and opportunities for proactive development.
- Work closely with the Head of Finance and CEO to ensure budgets, forecasts and accounts are accurate and realistic.
Relationships/ Stakeholder Engagement
- Manage relationships between MAC and external funding partners, liaising with the CEO and other SMT when appropriate and providing reports when required.
- Account Managing relationships with major donors/funders as required.
- Follow up leads and new opportunities working with SMT to strategise approaches and ensure clear communications and sensitively planned progression routes and asks.
- Cultivate corporate and individual gifts or sponsorships.
- Establish and develop a new membership programme.
- Build cases/narratives in support of MAC's relationships with core funders.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with partner organisations to promote MAC and the surrounding geographical area as a cultural destination and to develop consortium funding applications where relevant.
- In conjunction with the CEO and SMT contribute towards the overall strategic direction of the organisation.
- Line manage the Fundraising Manager, ensuring that targets are met and that the department meets the evolving needs of the charity.
- Play an active role within MAC's Senior Management Team.
- Maintain a visible presence at key MAC artistic and strategic events.
- Represent MAC at external meetings/events as required.
- Deputise for the CEO as required.
- Attend Board meetings as required.
Systems and Processes
- With the Fundraising Manager maintain a full and effective database of all potential funders that have been identified and results of approaches made, to measure and improve conversation rate, return on investment and maximise income generation.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to maintain robust and effective CRM systems.
- Ensure external partners such as donors and funders receive timely and accurate acknowledgements and reports.
- Ensure the department maintains GDPR and PECR compliance in all aspects of its communications, and in the way data is processed and retained.
- To ensure MAC is compliant with guidance and policies issued by the Fundraising Regulator and Charities Commission. To ensure this information is shared appropriately with SMT.
- Work with the Finance Team to ensure gift aid is managed to maximum benefit across the organisation.
- To attend and represent MAC at openings, performances and events as appropriate and agreed.
- Maintain awareness of current issues and trends in Professional Development, retaining a broad interest in the contemporary arts.
- Any other duties which may be required from this post.
Equal Opportunities & Diversity
All staff are expected to further, promote, and ensure the implementation of, the equal opportunities policies of MAC.
This job description outlines the principal responsibilities and duties of the post holder. It is not meant to be, nor is it, an exhaustive list of specific responsibilities and duties. The post-holder will be expected to undertake any other duties which could reasonably be expected as being within the remit of the post and which arise out of changes in legislation, regulations, orders, rules and working practices, methods and procedures and reviews, as directed from time to time.
A person specification describes the areas of knowledge, skills and experience a person should possess in order to take up the post.
- Experience of working at a senior level in a charity, cultural fundraising or development role
- Demonstrable income generating track record, including cultivating corporate and individual gifts or sponsorships
- Experience of managing membership schemes
- Proven experience of developing successful bids to major trusts & foundations
- Experience of writing strategic documents
- Proven experience of writing funding applications to arts and non-arts sources
- Have excellent written and oral communication and presentational skills
- Direct experience of using audience data/intelligence in the development of strategy
- Direct experience of working with digital/online communications tools
- A proven track record and enthusiasm for working collaboratively with a range of partners including those from non-arts backgrounds
- Ability to manage and prioritise a range of complex projects and competing demands
- A self-starter who can motivate others, is not afraid to ask questions and with a keen eye for detail in a climate of change.
- An adaptable team player, who is able to plan, negotiate and make decisions with high standards of personal organisation
- Have a commitment to continuing professional development and improving their professional practice.
- Be committed to an equal opportunities policy for MAC
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Experience of setting/managing budgets
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Current knowledge of GDPR legislation
- Experience of working in a professional arts venue
- Experience of working with Spektrix
- Experience of working for an ACE-funded organisation
- Willingness to travel