Our client, based in Peterborough with a globally recognised brand, has just made available an initial 12 month contract opportunity for a Cost Engineer to join their team, offering up to £40 per hour (dependant on experience), on an umbrella or limited company contract basis.
The primary focus of this position is the development of detailed component cost models and high level cost estimates for existing parts, new parts and competitor parts.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has experience in material cost management with a strong foundation in a range of manufacturing processes.
Key Responsibilities of the Cost Engineer
- Form high level cost estimates using existing knowledge coupled with information derived from 2D drawings, 3D Solid model, material specifications, technical specifications, material type, part samples, component assessment forms, process knowledge and supplier data
- Use the above to develop detailed component ‘Should Cost’ models from bottom up. Models are generated using dedicated software to process data, including: manufacturing process, machine data, labour rates, commercial data, scrap rates etc.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities after reviewing the incumbent suppliers operational process Vs ‘Cost model’ results
- Work with project team to derive a targeted negotiation strategy based on Cost model data
- Provide technical support to buyers during supplier negotiations
- Undertake price change assessments prior to sign off to ensure value for money
- Manage Value Added / Value Engineering events and process optimisation workshops to identify cost reduction opportunities for delivery
- Work with Design Engineering as a consultant to develop cost effective solutions
Qualifications and experience required of the Cost Engineer
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and commercial cost drivers
- Experience of managing multiple projects
- The ability to demonstrate cross functional team work
- Analysing and interpreting numerical data and reaching sound judgments and recommendations
- Proficient in Microsoft packages
To apply, please send a copy of your up to date CV clearly indicating your relevant experience. Candidates must have an existing right to work in the UK and evidence of eligibility will be required. Suitable candidates will be contacted.