Solicitor Employment & Education
Our client has a vacancy for a Solicitor to join their Birmingham based Employment team, which forms part of the Corporate and Commercial group.
You will provide high quality legal services to clients on all aspects of employment work, both contentious and non contentious, to a variety of corporate/commercial clients, but with a particular focus on university and college clients.
Your key duties will include:
- attending and conducting client meetings
- taking clients' instructions
- giving clear advice in correspondence and in person
- drafting documents, letters and contracts tailored to the client's individual needs
- negotiating with clients and other professionals to secure agreed objectives
- acting on behalf of clients in disputes and representing them in court, as necessary
- instructing Counsel or specialist advocates to appear in court and Tribunal for the client in potentially complex disputes
- preparing papers for court and Tribunal
- being a key team player, in the Employment-Education mini-team, the Birmingham Employment team and the wider cross-office Employment team
- taking a proactive approach to business development
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 4 yrs' experience in employment law, preferably from within private practice
- experience in advising universities and colleges is desirable although not essential
- experience in the public sector is desirable although not essential
- some previous experience in supervising junior fee earners is desirable although not essential
Key competencies you will need:
- a willingness and enthusiasm to get involved in business development activities, ideally able to demonstrate a proven track record of success in this area
- motivation to take up a challenge at an exciting time
- ideally some connections to and a knowledge of higher and further education sectors
Due to the large number of responses we receive it is not always possible to respond to every application. We will only contact those candidates short-listed for this role. If you have not heard from us within 7 days please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. If you wish to apply for further roles please do so. We will retain your details on file and contact you should a suitable vacancy become available.