Senior Pharmacy Technician
G4S Health Services has been one of the leading providers to all justice health environments since 2005. Working across Secure, Custody and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across the UK, we provide primary care and forensic healthcare to a wide range of patients.
HMP Rye Hill is situated in the village of Willougby, near Rugby, in Warwickshire. A PFI prison which opened in 2001, it is a category "B" training prison, acting as a national resource for sentenced male adults who have been convicted of a current or previous sex offence(s). The capacity of the prison is 625.
The sentence requirement for HMP Rye Hill is for prisoners who have been sentenced to over four years and have at least 12 months left to serve. The philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible and reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create.
We are recruiting for a Senior Pharmacy Technician to join our team at HMP Rye Hill.
Benefits as a Senior Pharmacy Technician:
- GBP27,953 per annum
- Company pension scheme with employer contributions
- Life assurance
- Employee discount scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- O2, Aviva and British Gas discounts
Full Time - 12 hour shifts to include weekends and bank holidays
Provides leadership, management and co-ordination of technical and support staff within the Pharmacy Team at HMP Rye Hill; supports efficient delivery of pharmacy services and further develops team-based approach to respond to the service needs of the wings and healthcare department at HMP Rye Hill.The post holder will assist in the provision of a safe, efficient and cost effective pharmaceutical service to prisoners within HMP Rye Hill, involving administration of medicines, working between 7am and 3-30pm Monday-Friday (40 hours per week). This role will involve medicines optimisation, and include dispensing, supply and
administering medication including controlled drugs, and supporting the delivery of medicines management services, primary care, health promotion and education. The post holder will be an accredited checking technician i.e. able to confirm the dispensing accuracy of any prescription previously screened/approved by a registered pharmacist in accordance with national standards and guideline.
- To deliver professional advice and support to members of the prison healthcare team and patients regarding their medicines and general health education so they are appropriately informed whilst working within their level of competency
- Assist in the provision of an efficient dispensing service, including use of pharmacy computer system for stock control and issue costings, further using the separate NOMS and Clinical systems to ensure effective provision of service for transfers and release.
- To perform and/or assist the pharmacist with medicines reconciliation and use reviews when required by the service
- To assess a prescription prior to dispensing, supply or administration of medication to ensure it is correct, clinically appropriate and legal
- To be able to risk assess patients for their medicines possession status within G4S policy and advise the prescriber accordingly
- To know own limitations and when to refer to another healthcare professional
- To carry out the duties of an accredited checking technician i.e. confirm the dispensing accuracy of any prescription previously screened/approved by a registered pharmacist in accordance with national standards and guideline.
- Assesses patients own drugs
- Facilitate the supply of medication for patients attending court or being transferred
- Assist in providing assurance of medicines safety and security within G4SH in line with RPS standards for medicines optimisation in secure settings (Edition 2) Develop, implement and monitor standards of service for the medicines administration points/medicines rooms, and medicines management services on the prisoner wings. Identify service needs of all areas of HMP Rye Hill contribute to the identification and implementation of a strategy to develop the pharmacy service to meet those needs through a team-based approach.
- Support the senior pharmacist to ensure that the Pharmacy Department functions in accordance with GPhC standards (community and hospital pharmacy standards as applicable) G4S policies and procedures, current legislation and guidance (including health and safety, COSHH, Medicines Act and Misuse of Drugs Act).
- Manage technical (pharmacy technicians, dispensers and assistants) staff at HMP Parc and undertake staff EDRs (appraisals) as directed by the Senior Pharmacist. Ensure that staff are assigned duties compatible with their grade, training and experience. Liaise with the senior pharmacist and manage the rotas for technical and support staff. Contribute to the identification and meeting of training and development needs of technical staff working at HMPRye Hill.
- Ensure the cost-effective use of resources and minimise wastage. Assist in the development of medicines management strategies to deliver prudent prescribing at HMP Rye Hill.
- Assist in the provision of an efficient dispensing service, including use of pharmacy computer system for stock control and issue costings, further using the separate NOMS and Clinical systems to ensure effective provision of service for transfers and release
- Provide medicines advice to GPs and nursing team on administration and management of medicines
- Issue medication (sales, prescriptions and discretionary medicines under protocols) and administer non-in possession medicines to patients in accordance with a written prescription or the written directions of a prescriber.
- Identify and address actual and potential dispensing errors, notifying senior staff, as appropriate.
- Support the investigation and review of CIPI incidents relating to medicines.
- Attend meetings as required within HMP Rye Hill particularly the Medicines Management meetings and Management Team (deputise for senior pharmacist as required)
- Ensure consistency of supply of medicines for individuals receiving complicated medicine regimens including medicines sourced and supplied by tertiary care centres.
- To be a member of G4S Rye Hill Medicines Management Group..
- Assist in the collection and analysis of workload data, when requested
- All employees should understand that it is their personal responsibility to comply with all organizational and statutory requirements e.g. Health and Safety, Equal treatment and Diversity, Confidentiality.
- To be aware of the operational constraints of working in a secure practice both for personal safety and for the safety and security of others.
- Complies with the policies and procedures of G4S.
- Ensures that a professional service and image is maintained at all times.
- Ensures their own actions support the equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals.
- Promotes and adheres to equality of opportunity and diversity within G4S.
The Ideal Candidate:
Essential Skills & Knowledge Required:
- NVQ level 3 in Pharmacy Service Skills
- Registered with GPhC
- Minimum 2 years' experience as a registered pharmacy technician
- Accredited Checking Technician
- Experience of working within a team
- Experience of working within a healthcare environment
- Able to demonstrate a good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Able to provide examples of diversity in practice
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Experience of working with potentially
- Passport for clearance
Desirable Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience of working within a secure environment
- Evidence of working within a 'value for money' service
- Driving Licence
This role requires the ability to work with vulnerable, frail people, who may be distressed or experiencing pain, in a caring and compassionate way. A Criminal Records Bureau check will therefore be required to exclude any individual with a history of criminal behaviour which could be considered unacceptable (by G4S or the clients) in a patient care environment. Safety is of paramount importance and the post holder must ensure that safe systems of work are followed without compromise. The post holder needs to be committed to maintaining high standards of customer care and service delivery.