Production Operative / Rewinder
- Immediate start available
- Based in Burntwood, Staffordshire (near Cannock)
- Attractive starting salary- GBP19,000 per annum (depending on experience)
- Shift flexibility essential with short notice changes
- Variable shifts on an annualised hours basis (mainly Mon - Fri)
- Shift patterns include night shifts (with additional unsociable hours payment)
- 28 days holiday initially + long service holiday awards
- Contributory Company Pension Scheme
- Company-wide profit related bonus scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
Mercian Labels is an award winning manufacturer of self-adhesive labels. As part of our ongoing growth plan, we are seeking to broaden our manufacturing team through the appointment of a new hard-working and enthusiastic Rewinder/ Production Operative. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a strong work ethic and 'can do' attitude to contribute to the success of the business.
We are ultimately striving for Manufacturing Excellence and we are looking for an experienced Production Operative with a track record of producing high-quality work with little or no waste / rejects.
Experience in Rewinding will be advantageous but our expectation is to train the right people. We fully train successful candidates at our own cost to also ensure their success.
You must have an eye for productivity/continuous improvement and quality control, as well as being able to demonstrate previous machine experience, good communication skills (both verbal and written), organisational skills with a methodical approach to work, commitment and a positive 'can do' attitude.
This role reports to the Production Manager. Working within a small team (Printer, Print Finisher, Rewinder), complete the finishing portion of label production by transforming the product into a usable form through slitting, rewinding and counting, while doing inspection of the labels. This role is critical to the production process and the success of delivering our products On Time and In Full (OTIF) to the customer.
- Ability to read and follow work order specifications;
- Setup and operation of Rewinder Machines using hand tools;
- Verify size and alignment of rewind rolls;
- Inspect for quality while machine is operating and adjust as necessary;
- Quality check all finished products;
- Label all finished products and package all products in appropriate boxes;
- Ensure total quality through use of good manufacturing practice and company standard operating procedures;
- Maintain housekeeping standards;
- Assist team members as needed;
- Provide support to meet department and company objectives by performing other duties as assigned following appropriate training.
- A willingness to learn and be part of a friendly, dedicated and hard-working team;
- Excellent attention to detail and quality control - high concentration levels;
- Strong communication and team working skills;
- Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals;
- Basic literacy and numeracy;
- Must pass colour vision test;
- Good colour perception and ability to pay attention to detail;
- Manual dexterity;
- Must be able to work well with others;
- Good problem solving ability;
- Ability to work well in a high pressure environment;
- Maintain good attendance;
- Must be willing to work flexibly as needed to meet the production requirements. Short notice shift changes need to be accommodated.
Knowledge / Skills / Ability:
Previous experience running a manufacturing machine is required.
Basic maths skills
Ability to use a ruler / measure;
Ability to read a gauge;
Ability to use a computer (training given on systems)
Inspection or previous quality experience is advantageous
- To operate a Digital Converting Machine, when trained;
- Natural Career Progression Path = Print Finisher, then Printer. Training and support available.
Find out more about our company, product range and what it is like working with us on our website: .
If you meet the above criteria and feel this is the right role for you, please send us an up to date CV and covering letter.