MBA are working with a leading financial services organisation, seeking a confident and competent legal professional to join an established team.
Overall purpose of role
The role provides leadership on corporate governance, corporate reporting and disclosure and wholesale funding matters, reporting to the Head of Legal with extensive engagement with the General Counsel. The role requires advising the General Counsel and Board on corporate governance; advising and implementing changes to achieve compliance with corporate governance best practice and providing legal support on treasury, finance, M&A, capital markets and general corporate matters as needed.
The person undertaking this role will obtain insight and experience into operation of the organisation at the highest levels, including strategy and performance and will build a detailed knowledge of the organisation.
The role requires strong collaboration, networking and influencing skills in order to get timely input from stakeholders where required and to distil this into appropriate advice for the clients.
The candidate will have to be comfortable with working under tight deadlines and with people at all levels of seniority, with a discipline of thoroughness. Attention to detail in drafting and legal analysis is essential in this role.
Professional qualifications or essential experience required
- ICSA-qualified, solicitor, barrister or accountant with relevant experience
- A sound grasp of corporate law
- Competent in understanding financial services regulation
- Ability to advise credibly senior management and Board-level personnel on legal and corporate governance issues
- Highly effective in preparing and presenting clear and concise materials for Board-level audiences
- Ability to prioritise work and work well under pressure
Additional essential information
- Ability to work with clients to identify, assess, prioritise and manage complex legal issues
- Develop alternatives and proposals clearly defining and mitigating risk
- Provide robust strategic and commercially practical advice and demonstrate good judgement
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, both written and spoken, including the ability to effectively influence others and positively manage conflicts
- Ability to network with staff and management at senior levels
- Ability to monitor legal developments and changes in law/practice in particular in relation to corporate reporting
- Ability to manage competing priorities with tight deadlines