Software Engineer Apprenticeship
About the Apprenticeship:
As an apprentice within our technology department (IT), you will get a combination of hands-on experience in a technical role, whilst also studying for your BSc Honours degree. You'll study part-time for your degree, being able to put your new found technical skills into practice within your day to day role as an apprentice.
The apprenticeship lasts 4 years, with years 1 and 2 helping you to develop core skills across cyber security, data analysis, software engineering and network engineering. You will then specialise in software engineering, deepening your skills in this area throughout years 3 and 4. Your skills will be tested in a variety of ways during the 4 years, including online and offline assessments, exams, projects and portfolios.
Importantly, you'll be in a supportive environment, with a community of like-minded apprentices around you. You will also have mentors and tutors inside and outside of the business who will help guide you through the degree course.
Your part in the team:
You will play a key development role, building software solutions that both support and enhance products for our growing energy and telco business. Projects are focussed on a range of areas including:
- Online registrations and customer self serve
- Many of the systems that support our customer-facing teams
- New business opportunities
- Expanding the capability of our smart meter platform
You will be working in a highly agile company that continues to encourage best software engineering principles and practices, to make the software delivery process more efficient, reliable and able to react to changing demands. You will be exposed to all areas of software engineering, with a particular focus on Java.
Our normal working hours are 9am - 5.30pm, with an hour for lunch, but we can be flexible with this. As part of your study schedule, 20% of your working week will be dedicated to off the job learning. This will be arranged in a way that best suits you and your team.
What you'll need to help you make the best of the role:
We want to hear from you if you:
- Have an analytical mindset
- Enjoy problem-solving
- Have a passion for technology
- Enjoy communicating with a range of people
We will support you through the apprenticeship, but it's important that you're:
- Self-motivated to succeed in both your studies and your work
- Inspired by a challenge
The nice to have's:
Training will be provided both internally through mentors and co-workers and externally through the Open University. However, it would be helpful for you to have:
- 7 GCSE's grade A-C, to include Maths and English
- 3 A-Level's at C or above or a BTEC qualification
You'll have the opportunity to gain a degree qualification through the Open University, working alongside industry professionals. Your 4 years worth of on the job training will provide you with a solid grounding for a career in technology.
Following successful completion of the degree course, you will have the skills and experience to become a Software Engineer at Shell Energy.
What you can expect from the process:
Part of the application process will require you to complete some initial shortlisting questions. Those shortlisted will be invited for a short phone call to further discuss the role/course requirements and motivations for applying. Successful candidates will then be invited to attend an Assessment Centre on either Wednesday 3 or Thursday 4 July. This will include a short presentation, aptitude tests, a short competency interview and a group activity.
We're holding some open sessions which are an opportunity for you to come and find out some more about the role and the course. These will be on -
- Thursday 25 April 3.30pm
- Thursday 25 April 6.00pm
If you would like to attend one of the above sessions, please email the team to reserve a space.
What's in it for you:
- Company maternity /adoption pay - 26 weeks full pay, followed by 13 weeks statutory pay for eligible employees.
- Two weeks full paternity pay
- BUPA Private Healthcare
- Life Assurance
- Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working
- Agile Working/Working from Home where appropriate
- Staff Tariffs
- Mentoring Scheme
- Apprenticeship Schemes
- Training and Coaching
- Development Portal to access development material and share experiences
- Exclusive Retail Discounts (from nearly 900 retailers
- 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays) and Holiday Trading Scheme
- Quarterly Team Socials
- Platform to access healthy meal ideas, exercise videos and mindfulness tips
- Access to impartial financial advice
- E-cards to share thanks with colleagues
- A fresh start to the week with free fresh fruit, every Monday
- Charity events to support our charity partner NSPCC
- Trim Trail onsite
- Ample free onsite parking
- Modern, vibrant offices
- Den with sofas, PS4 and table football
- Onsite restaurant with hot and cold menu and pizza order service
- Barista style coffee bar with hot and cold snacks
- Smart/Casual Dress
If you want to reach your full potential working towards a career in technology, whilst gaining a degree qualification, then apply now for our Software Engineer apprenticeship.
At Shell Energy, we're committed to ensuring the privacy and security of your personal data. Following your application with us, please take the time to read our Candidate Privacy Notice which sets out the personal data that we collect about you when you apply for a vacancy with us, including how and why we process it, who we share it with and your rights and choices. Thank you for your interest in a career with us.