Private Carer/Support Worker (Dementia)
The purpose of this role is to care for, and support an elderly gentleman, living with dementia in his own, lovely home. He faces challenges relating to his dementia and recent bereavements. He needs direction, support and care in areas that most of us take for granted. But once engaged, he is an enthusiastic and determined client. He loves his home, his care team and his trips out. You will be joining his family and a thriving team, all of whom are committed to his safety, his enjoyment of life, and maximising his independence. The team is led by an experienced and creative team leader, and day to day, she will support and direct your work with him. The family support the team leader.
The daily shift pattern is set out below; flexibilities are possible for the right candidate.
8:00 am till 5:00 pm
5:00 pm till 8.00 a.m. (9:00 pm to 8:00 a.m. classed as sleeping night)
We are aiming for a regular rota so that working hours are predictable for everyone.
All carers will be expected to share in the cover of holiday and sick leave, and to show reasonable flexibility in covering others' leave.
Probationary period (13 weeks)
To start, successful applicants will
- be placed on a probationary period; this will be discussed at interview.
- shadow established carers and the Team Leader to ensure an easy transition for yourself and the client
Essential requirements are:
· Previous experience of dementia or similarly challenging conditions, and NVQ level 2 is preferred
· Ability to follow instructions of Team Leader
. Ability to make detailed records of care, events and changes in client’s mood and wellbeing
· Ability to use initiative to promote the wellbeing of the client within parameters set by the Team Leader.
· Ability to contribute well with other colleagues to promote a strong and sustainable care team.
· Ability to work in a safe way and to report health and safety concerns
Full clean driving license and use of own vehicle is essential (Business Insurance is essential for the position, and if not in place, options will be discussed at interview).
· This is not an exhaustive list of duties and may change.
The Team Leader and the client's family are available for discussion if you'd like to learn more about the role, and how the team works.