Power BI Developer
Your new role
The Finance Directorate at Highways England are looking to recruit a Power BI developer to join a newly created team responsible for the implementation of Finance BI reports across the business. This is an exciting new role where you will have the opportunity to contribute to the creation and design of new reports whilst being responsible the day to day running of the BI platform and associated processes. You will work closely with stakeholders across the business to fix issues and use agile methodology for new development.
What you'll be leading on:
- Responsible for the daily refresh of multiple data sets in accordance with the month end reporting cycle. Ensuring any load failures are rectified as a priority and stakeholders are kept informed of any issues with the availability of Power BI reports.
- In conjunction with the Lead Developer capture, validate and assess business requirements submitted by FBS teams to determine if and how they can be incorporated into the standard Power BI reports. This includes determining the effort to develop each requirement and supporting the prioritisation of requirements process within FBS.
- Develop changes to existing standard reports and develop new reports in accordance with the agreed requirements, using an agile development process and through engagement with business stakeholders. Development scope includes Power BI for the user front-end, SQL Server for the data hub and Azure for the data integration.
- Investigate, analyse and fix any defects or issues in the automated reporting platform. Make improvements to the automated reporting processes where required.
- Test and assure changes to the automated reporting platform, including the Power BI, SQL Server and Azure components, including testing of new standard and ad-hoc reports, and changes to existing reports, to provide assurance or the accuracy of the reports.
- Provide technical training on the automated reporting platform to other team members who need to develop ad-hoc reports or undertake data discovery. Support the transfer and training of any new reports into a BAU process.
To be successful:
- Demonstrable experience of designing and developing digital reports using Power BI and DAX Expressions, QlikView and Tableau
- Demonstrable experience of using SQL Server 2008 - 2016 databases
- Demonstrable experience working in an agile development environment and experience of using associated tools e.g. Trello, JIRA, MS Planner
- Advanced level user with Microsoft Excel and data sets
- Experience deploying Power BI within the Microsoft Azure cloud environment
A bit about us
Our directorate is responsible for managing the company's GBP3 billion a year finances, overall governance, assurance and risk management, managing the company's large and dispersed estate, processing damages claims and the operation of the Dart Charge facility. A lot of what we do is like oil in the organisational machinery. We make the business work more smoothly and we help everyone to do their jobs better. Our vision is to work through partnership and collaboration to secure great resource outcomes for the company and amplify what we achieve with it.
Want to know more?
Please click here for the full role profile.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.