The Regulatory Affairs team is responsible for legal compliance of all Holland & Barrett International's Foods & Food Supplements, Cosmetics, and Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products (THMPs).
Reporting to the Supplier Assurance Manager, three vacancies have become available within the team to become a Category Technologist.
As a Category Technologist, it's your job to make sure products are produced safely, legally and to the quality claimed. This could involve ensuring that manufacturing processes and recipes of products, newly-discovered ingredients/recipes and concepts are legally acceptable.
You will focus on compliance issues on existing products but also support commercial colleagues in new product development teams as required to help deliver factory-ready recipes. Keeping up with ever-changing regulations will be an essential part of your job.
- Work with suppliers and internal stakeholders on quality issues for existing and new products
- Manage the safety, legality and quality of own brand products produced
- Modify existing products and processes and develop new ones in order to improve quality and compliance
- Check and improve safety and quality control procedures in our own and suppliers' factories, from the raw material stage through to the finished product
- Select raw materials and other ingredients from suppliers
- Audit suppliers or manage internal audits
- Support new product development teams, as needed on trials of new products
- Deal with any customer complaint investigations or product issues
- Compile, check and approve product specifications and labelling
- Undertake long-term projects with other departments, such as reducing waste by improving efficiency
- Work on packaging innovation and technology
- Design the processes and machinery for making products with consistent quality parameters (e.g. flavour, colour and texture) in large quantities
- Build relationships with suppliers
- Develop the ability to repeat processes to ensure consistency and safety
- Liaise with technical and commercial colleagues in procurement, sales, technical services and marketing and distribution, and with official inspection and safety agencies as delegated
- Work with engineering and production to develop solutions to production issues, while maintaining food safety
- You'll benefit from having a suitable technical degree for related to the area of work. The following subjects in particular are relevant: food nutrition and health, food safety and quality management, food science/technology or cosmetics technology
- Other relevant science subjects include physical, mathematical, life and medical science. In particular, subjects such as nutrition, microbiology and applied chemistry are helpful
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- People and team working skills
- A flexible approach to working
- Numeracy and problem-solving skills
- Time management and organisational skills
- An awareness of the consumer market for your category
Holland & Barrett is one of the nation's most loved and trusted brands, known for offering quality health food, vitamins and supplements all sold by highly trained and qualified advisors.
Bucking the current trend of high street retailers, we forecast significant growth and expansion plans in the coming years, with considerable investment going into all areas of the business. We certainly embrace change and drive speed in everything we do. Every day presents a different challenge, but every day is also filled with fun, teamwork and passion to succeed and surpass every expectation.
Join us and see how far you can go???