Health and Safety Manager
Our client is a development and commercialisation organisation (DCO), specialising in materials technologies and processes. Their application of cross-industry insight, materials science expertise and innovative thinking allows industries, such as Construction, Healthcare, Ceramics, Aerospace and Nuclear, to develop and implement disruptive technology platforms, providing cost and/or product performance benefits and enabling real market differentiation.
They are looking for an experienced Health and Safety Manager to ensure that they maintain a safe and healthy working environment for everyone working at, or visiting, their UK headquarters in Stoke-on-Trent. Based at the headquarters, you will be responsible for advising and supporting the senior management to create a proactive and positive Health and Safety culture. You will also ensure that the Company is aware of, and works, in accordance with all relevant regulations.
Principal responsibilities will include:
- Developing and executing health and safety plans for the Stoke-on-Trent site according to legal guidelines and best practice;
- Ensuring plans are appropriate and relevant for the different working environments across the site - laboratories, pilot plants, construction and offices;
- In partnership with senior management, lead the site Health and Safety Committee;
- Working with line managers to coach, encourage and support a positive and proactive culture of health and safety - including developing and enforcing appropriate policies;
- Evaluating practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law;
- Conducting training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention;
- Monitoring compliance to policies and laws through personal inspection of operations and working practices;
- Inspecting equipment and machinery to highlight possible unsafe conditions;
- Investigating accidents or incidents to discover causes and manage the follow-up activities as required;
- Establishing and reporting on KPIs to track performance in safety awareness and issues;
- Supporting managers with health and safety advice for remote working employees (in the UK and Europe but not covering the US);
- Partnering with the health and safety leaders in the US to share best practice and take a consistent approach across the Group, whilst respecting different regulatory environments and site needs.
Essential and preferred requirements and qualifications:
- Proven experience in leading the health and safety agenda in a laboratory, manufacturing and/or construction environment;
- Deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines with chartered MIOSH status (or working towards it);
- Excellent organisational and motivational skills;
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability;
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to influence at all levels of the organisation;
- A background in a technical discipline (for example chemistry, physics, engineering) would be an advantage.
As an employee you will benefit from generous holidays and flexible working arrangements. They also offer comprehensive medical cover and a defined contribution pension scheme.