Head of Policy and Advocacy
The employer is a nature charity organisation.
- The Head of Policy & Advocacy will oversee all our policy and advocacy work in England. As a member of the England Leadership Team the post holder will have collective responsibility for the development and delivery of the England Strategy and accountability for the policy and advocacy programme in country.
- This role will work closely with their peers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales and the UKHQ Policy & Advocacy team and will together provide corporate oversight of the company's Transforming Policies for Nature Programme, prioritising the critical interventions required to enable nature's recovery in each country of the UK and aligning the available resources from across the UK to greatest impact.
- They will work with our UK HQ policy staff who will be responsible for developing specific policy responses. The Head of Policy & Advocacy in England will be responsible for signing these off and also agreeing the overall work programme for the England-only element of our UK policy work. In addition, working with key colleagues, they will establish a highly effective stakeholder engagement plan and lead our high-level advocacy programme with key influencers in public life such as landowners, constituency MPs, metropolitan and local government, corporates, the media and partnerships/networks.
- This role will also play a key role in developing our campaigning approach, enabling our supporters and civil society networks, to demonstrate their support for nature's recovery, to complement our more traditional policy and advocacy approaches.
- Able to remain calm under pressure and in adversarial situations, the post-holder will be a persuasive and credible advocate for nature conservation in England. They will be passionate and dynamic influencers and have a flair for understanding the world of politics, relationships and conservation outcomes in order to plan and develop the company's response for best effect for nature.
- be a persuasive and experienced advocate, with demonstrable ability to credibly communicate the needs of nature, through a range of channels such as high-level meetings with politicians & senior stakeholders, meetings with land owners, public forums and the media.
- be able to critically assess complex information, situations, and politics; distilling out the essential points to shape tactics, responses and communications, to maximize the company's influence for nature
- have knowledge of England's legislative, policy, political and civil society environment, including an understanding of power networks
- have a sound conservation knowledge and an understanding of the environmental governance and policy frameworks influencing nature.
- have a proven ability to translate strategy into action, developing programmes, prioritising and leading change.
- have proven leadership skills for high performance and building a positive culture, and
- have a proven ability to influence others, build partnerships and negotiate at a senior level.