Job Title - Construction Manager
Location - Baskerville House, Birmingham
Rates - GBP389.53 LTD / Umbrella - GBP341.05 PAYE
In scope of IR35
About the role / project:
Act as Network Rail's day-to-day site representative to monitor so that the contractor's site activities are conducted in a safe and efficient manner with minimum impact on the environment and operational railway, and the work is of a high standard and in accordance with the relevant specifications and latest practices
What you will do:
- Monitor so that site activities comply with the Guide to Railway Investment Projects (GRIP), relevant rules, regulations, Railway Group and Network Rail's company standards and all applicable procedures and legislation.
- Review in conjunction with the Protection Engineer, the contractor's method statements and site-specific risk assessments.
- Monitor by liaison with appropriate Network Rail personnel whether arrangements for access, possession, storage, worksites etc. have been made to facilitate the efficient completion of work.
- Monitor by a programme of regular pre-arranged inspections the quality of the contractor's work. Instruct contractors in accordance with powers delegated. Where remedial actions are required monitor so that non-conformance reports raised are closed out in an auditable manner. Direct changes as appropriate.
- Inspect completed works and survey for the readiness of portions of the work for inspection and for the recording of the outcome and the control of any remedial works required.
- Monitor, by close liaison with the contractor, whether "first off" examples of elements of the works are jointly inspected at an early opportunity. Agree the detailed workmanship standards for consistent application to the whole of the works.
- Monitor the contractor's management of site works by regular site meetings at which details of the locations of, nature of, and number of staff to be employed upon each element of the work shall be established for the period until the next meeting.
- Monitor progress of the works by regular site visits and inspections, comparing work in progress with contract documentation, and information given at site meetings and with the overall contract programme.
- Maintain a regular and frequent site presence at all worksites and to continually monitor, and correct where necessary, the standard and methods of work, being always vigilant for inadequacies. Maintain site diary as appropriate.
Your experience will include:
- Relevant successful construction experience in railway industry.
- Environmental awareness.
- Driver for behavioural change.
- Good communication skills.
- Commercial awareness.
- Ability to manage a principal contractor and their subcontractors.
- CSCS/CITB scheme/Nebosh certificate.
- Safety management awareness/training.
- Six Sigma Yellow Belt.
What you'll get in return
Capita and our client understand what it is like to work as a contractor and we will do everything we can to make it a simple process for you - this includes dedicated on-boarding, extension teams and access to a web based timesheet portal giving you an ability to access and submit your timesheets wherever you are.
About our client
Our client is the largest rail infrastructure business in the country and is at the operational centre of the railway and playing a key role in a rapidly evolving industry. They are responsible for rebuilding Britain's railway infrastructure and are managing some of the biggest and most complex engineering programmes in Europe. Over the next five years they will be spending around GBP23 billion to maintain and upgrade every aspect of an infrastructure that comprises 21,000 miles of track, 2,500 stations, 9,000 level crossings, 40,000 bridges and tunnels, and signalling and power for the movement of 25,000 trains every day.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - Click apply now. You will then be directed to a Capita owned microsite that will assist you with your application. Once completed you will then be contacted by the relevant recruiter.
Our client welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or another irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.