Biffa PLC is currently on the lookout for a Senior Chemist to work from our Atherstone Facility. The purpose of the role is to line manage a team of chemists to efficiently receive process and despatch incoming wastes through a hazardous waste treatment and transfer facility. Paramount to the role is that waste is assessed and handled in an approved manner ensuring Health, Safety and Environmental compliance are met whilst demonstrating continuous improvement in productivity, plant availability and the quality of materials produced.
- Lead, monitor and control a team of chemists to carry out all processes within the facility in terms of people and equipment to ensure operational productivities and plant availability.
- Ensure security of waste entering the facility and disposal in line with any stated customer requirement.
- Ensure inputs and outputs meet defined standards e.g. PPC, discharge consent, pre acceptance, onward transfer caveats, whilst driving best practice and continuous improvement in cost control and processing operations.
- Ensure the team controls material flows through the site to ensure delays and backlogs are minimised.
- Ensure the team carries out regular stock control and inventory of materials, both waste and consumables held on site.
- Ensure the team maintains a high level of housekeeping in all areas and ensure any housekeeping activities are carried out in an effective and timely manner.
- Implement and ensure compliance with all company policy, process and procedures.
Nature and Scope:
The job holder must keep abreast of Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and Company policy to ensure defined standards and best practice are implemented. Maintain a positive Health and Safety culture with conscientious near miss/Hazard spotting reporting and delivering production and safety briefings. They role entails leading and developing a team of chemists.
Working closely with site operational teams to maximise shared resource, the job holder will undergo or carry out any training as agreed or requested to strengthen their abilities or the abilities of others. Becoming a CoTC holder and out of hours contact for the facility.
The Job holder will undertake any project or development work as requested by Site Management. Assist the Operations Manager and Maintenance & Projects Manager in meeting their targets. Make sure deadlines are met and be in a position of pulling in work not pushed to receive it this will need interpersonal, organisational and communicational skills. The Job holder will also assist in Duty of Care compliance audits at Wednesbury and external disposal facilities. Also helping to develop written operating procedures and risk assessments. Assisting in purchasing in line with company procedures and continually looking to improve operational productivity and cost efficiencies.
The job holder will be trained to Control contractors whilst on the site and work alongside Maintenance and Projects to ensure both scheduled and reactive maintenance needs are met whilst still servicing our customers. You will analyse samples according to Company Procedures.
The Job holder may have to undertake work at other facilities including customer's premises. This may involve travelling and nights away. You will also be cross trained over transfer station duties.
The Job may include other reasonable duties/tasks from time to time.
- Experience as a chemist in a hazardous waste management business or chemical/manufacturing industry.
- IT literate - Using MS Office.
- Knowledge & understanding of the requirements of working within a time critical processing environment.
- Analytical with the ability to measure and monitor data.
- Organised with the ability to simplify complex issues.
- Good written and verbal Communication skills at all levels.
- Full, clean UK valid driving license.
- Willingness to travel within the UK for business meetings and project work at other locations
- Flexible and Adaptable.
Here at Biffa, we have a friendly, open, honest culture that's based on mutual trust and respect. Safety is our number one priority and we look out for each other.
We're very proud of what we do and are continually striving to be better. We listen to our employees and we care about what our employees think. At Biffa, we encourage our people to take responsibility. You'll have a real opportunity to make a positive contribution to our business, our customers and to the communities in which we operate.
We're committed to helping our people fulfil their potential. You'll find many exciting opportunities and challenges with us and people are rewarded fairly for their efforts, recognising the valuable contribution that everyone makes to our business.
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Biffa is therefore committed to promoting equality and diversity in all areas and places great importance on ensuring it is a diverse and fulfilling place to work.