Senior Legal Counsel - Stoke (Qualified Lawyer)
Senior Legal Counsel (Qualified Lawyer)
Salary: GBP75,000 (Negotiable)
Closing Date: Wednesday 23 October 2019
Mcgregor Boyall are delighted to be working with a Global Insurance Group who have a market leading presence in the personal motor and home insurance sector. Recently the organisation has seen significant growth, with the Autonet online and van insurance specialist acquiring two major insurers into its group in December 2017 and December 2018.
This is a unique opportunity for a practically minded and commercially focussed mid-level solicitor to take on a new role within a growing business that has experienced leadership.
Structure of the Role:
- This is a new role for an in-house solicitor as a dedicated legal adviser to the organisations sub-group of companies
- The role will be based in Stoke on Trent, and limited travel to Manchester and to London will be required
- The organisation has a dedicated legal team for general group legal matters, which will support this dedicated role.
Purpose of the Role:
- To provide general legal guidance, assistance and advice to the business segment on a day-to-day basis, as part of de-centralised group structure
- Assist and participate in contractual negotiations for the group, managing governance of projects and key stakeholders for successful conclusion of commercial arrangements
- Provide a strong link between the Group executive team and the business and legal teams
- Negotiate and draft agreements with the organisations suppliers and business partners, including insurance companies, insurance risk carriers, IT and communications suppliers
- Review, negotiate and agree supplier terms and assist business partners with such negotiations
- Manage key stakeholders in confirming and approving such arrangements, including compliance, data protection, finance, and executive/board level
- Provide guidance to the business on data protection and use of data within commercial arrangements
- Reflect Group and legal policies on risk and compliance, indemnities, data protection and liabilities into commercial agreements
- Keep updated with changes to relevant areas of law and provide updates to the legal team and relevant business teams
Essential criteria - must be clearly demonstrated on CV
- Solicitor qualified in England and Wales, or an equivalent foreign jurisdiction qualification
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Knowledge of Financial Services regulatory requirements and GDPR and data handling requirements
- Experience of reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements, and identifying key areas for executive focus
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to prioritise work and to work well under pressure
- Capability to work with numerical information, plus analytical and problem-solving skills
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information
- Able to manage relationships at all levels of the business to influence the achievement of good board outcomes
- Flexible and adaptable personal style with strong influencing and negotiation skills
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on any grounds.