Senior Network Engineer / Network Manager
A large-scale organisation with numerous sites across the Midlands is seeking an experienced Senior Network Engineer / Network manager for a 6-month contract based in Birmingham. Acting as the sole inhouse Network specialist you will develop and maintain functional and secure networks across a large and complex IT infrastructure.
As the Networks Subject Matter Expert in a small IT team you will be the point of contact for everything networking related. You'll be responsible for the design and deployment of network updates, upgrades and solutions, spanning all network infrastructure software and hardware; LAN, WAN, WiFi etc. You will also act as the senior escalation point for all network support, monitoring and generally maintaining Network Availability.
This is a busy environment; the Network is really in need of a bottom-up overhaul, re-architecting, configuring, updating etc. This You will need to possess the expertise to confidently balance a steady flow of reactive tasks, whilst finding time to make improvements across the Network.
This position will suit a highly experienced Network Engineer, with the confidence to self-manage and act independently, as the sole inhouse Network specialist. This is a demanding role, however it's a fantastic company culture, team and a great opportunity to deliver significant value in brining a Network up to scratch.
- Configure, install and manage all core networking infrastructure
- Resolve and monitor all networking incidents and issues
- Manage third party support
- Assist and mentor junior team members on technical issues when required
- Maintain technical documentation
- Suggest and deliver improvements when necessary (i.e. capacity, scalability, network performance)
- Act as 3rd Line support when required and resolve incidents when escalated
For this role you will need to have excellent knowledge of network architecture, administration and security, you will always be working towards the goal of ensuring the network is fully secure and scalable and suits their customers' requirements.
- Experience working as a Senior Network Engineer in a mid - large environment (ideally multiple sites)
- Experience of administering Cisco Meraki WLAN
- Strong Cisco knowledge, ideally proven with a Cisco certification (Ideally CCNP)
- Exceptional CheckPoint Firewall knowledge (using models 15400, 1400 or equivalent)
- Deep understanding of communication protocols and routing protocols (BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS)
- Exposure to access control models and network security would be advantageous
- Ability to act as the networks SME without third party backup
- Good experience with SolarWinds, Netflow, Syslog or other network diagnostic tools
- Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to work independently and proactively
Please note; you will be required to be on call one week every four (remunerated)
Paying between GBP400 and GBP500 per day depending on experience.